Teaching Adolescent Writers
Author: Kelly Gallagher
I can not over state how happy I am to have this book. If you are teaching adolescents writing, then I highly recommend you go online to Book Depository or Fishpond and get yourself a copy.
Kelly Gallagher has built this book around six "Pillars of Writing Success":
- Students need a lot more writing practice.
- Students need teachers who model good writing.
- Students need the opportunity to read and study other writers.
- Students need choice when it comes to writing topics.
- Students need to write for authentic purposes and for authentic audiences.
- Students need meaningful feedback from both the teacher and their peers.
He offers a number of classroom-tested strategies that enable teachers to:
- Understand the importance of teaching writing
- Motivate young writers
- Model effective writing using both the teacher's own compositions and real-world text
- Provide clear choice within a rigorous curriculum
- Help students recognise the importance of purpose and audience
- assess essay;s in ways that drive better writing performance
This book is brilliant. It has master sheets in the appendix, along with lists that I will surly find very useful. I have put into action a number of things already and it works. It is difficult to take a student from primary writing and transition them into adult writers. Teaching Adolescent writers has made this transition easier to comprehend. It has given me tools and advice to teach a young adult rather than treat them like they are still a child writer.
This is available from: Book depository, Amazon and Fishpond: